Friday, June 5, 2009

Pursue your Life with a Purpose

When I was young, I was taught in school that one should have a dream or ambition so that you will live your life with a good purpose. As time passed on, I believe even more firmly that it is so true especially when we have grown up into young adults who can serve for a reason to make our life and the society beautiful. Whether it is for your parents, for love, for aspiration, or for pride, I believe that one should fight for happiness in the way that only you can achieve it.

After reading the article "Her Dreams Dies At 5,500 Metres" on The New Paper today (2009, June 6), I felt the sudden urge to write a reflection on my blog to admire Ms Sim's efforts in pursuing her Mt Everest quest despite her painful outcome. In fact, I disliked the use of the word "Dies" to describe her agonizing attempt; because life serves nothing more than making an effort towards your goal, so that you will enjoy the process along the way instead of contemplating on what you cannot achieve. At least for Ms Sim, she fought all her way "up" on the World's highest peak which we should applause for her courage and determination till the very end. Same goes for the other team members of the Singapore Women's Everest Team who made it to the top.

Personally, I felt that the most prominent aspect of their achievement on Mt Everest was the teamwork displayed by the team. Although Ms Sim didn't make it as far as her teammates due to the bad weather and her body condition, it was a "team victory" or rather a "team's success" because they "have realised the dream for her." Actually, it was a wise decision made by the team coach (Lim Kim Boon) to ask Miss Sim to turn back; due to what was diagnosed later by the doctor that she was suffering a costrochondritis during the event of her conquest. It was sad for Ms Sim, but it was for a good reason so that her teammates can continue to move forward; and having the courage to do so revealed Ms Sim's professionalism in the team.

I cannot use any words to describe how much I envy the Singapore Women's Everest Team for their achievement, but I do recognized the fact that one needs to have a dream in order to live life to the fullest. Now in the midst of my "conquest" to join the Singapore Police Force, I reckon that determination and courage is what I need to make it into the meaningful career that I aspire to embark for life. Even though it was painful to turn down other job offers that came along the way, I have realised that I am fortunate to have a ambition that I hold on to since young.

To conclude, I hope that if any person out there who reads this blog knew what you want to achieve in life - go for it! Stop thinking about other things that hinder your intentions from working towards your goal. Sometimes, it is just a matter of whether you know your first step in achieving it; and if you try hard enough, you will make it. Believe it or not... *wink*

No comments: